Recipe by salad savior
This recipe is a combination of two recipes: one that I found on this site, and Ina Garten's (Food Network's Barefoot Contessa) gratin recipe. For the squash, I used a package of pre-cubed butternut squash, however feel free to peel and cut your own.
- 1 large butternut squash, cubed
- 2⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot cream (or milk)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook squash 3-5 minutes in boiling, salted water.
- In a small bowl, mix parsley, garlic, and lemon zest.
- In a baking dish, sprinkle squash with 1/4t salt, 1/8t pepper, and parsley mix; mix until squash is well coated.
- Gratin sauce:.
- In medium saucepan, melt 2T butter, add flour, stirring constantly.
- Pour in hot cream, stir until boiling.
- Remove pan from heat, add remaining salt and pepper, nutmeg, 1/2c Gruyere, and Parmesan.
- Pour sauce over squash, stir to coat.
- Combine remaining Gruyere with breadcrumbs, sprinkle on top of squash mixture.
- Drizzle 2T melted butter on top of breadcrumb mix.
- Bake for 30 mins, or until top is browned.