Ina Garten's Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread (Barefoot Contessa)
photo by lisar
- Ready In:
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 extra large eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, Melted (Plus Extra To Grease The Pan)
- 8 ounces aged extra-sharp cheddar cheese, Grated, Divided
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, Chopped (White And Green Parts, Plus Extra For Garnish, 3 Scallions)
- 3 tablespoons fresh jalapenos, Seeded And Minced
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix!
- Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I thought that this recipe for cornbread was the best tasting cornbread on the planet!! It was so good and rich and moist and light in texture. Yum..., heaven on a plate! I had used regular grated cheddar because that is what I had and I really could not taste the cheese as Ina said would happen if one didn't not use an extra-sharp. I also used only 1 jalapeno because I was a bit nervous, I am "Sweet" cornbread kind of gal and I was afraid the jalapeno would overpower- wrong again! Full jalapenos next time! I think this is a special occasion cornbread because of the calories, but if you really want to impress someone and knock their socks off this is it!