1 hr 5 mins
Flan also known as creme caramel outside of South American countries and the United States, is a custard-based dessert topped with a layer of caramel. Flan originated in Europe and later became very popular in Central and South America. This version of cre'me caramel, retains the custard's lightness, but adds the rich flavor of winter squash for a unique fall or winter desert. It can be served without the carmel sauce or can be made as a pie, by preparing a 9" pie crust (partially baked), then add custard and bake at 450 degrees for 10 min., then lower heat to 325 degrees for 30 min. or until knife comes clean.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring 1/2 cup sugar & 1/4 cup water to a boil, swirling until it turn a rich tea bown.
- 2Pour browned sugar mixture into 1 quart casserole or individual molds.
- 3Puree the mashed squash, using a blender,.
- 4Beat eggs & yolks then beat in to brownsugar, salt,spices & squash.
- 5Bring milk & cream to a boil and add in a stream, very slowly to egg-squash mix. Beating all the time.
- 6Pour mixtgure into the carmel-lined mold and place in a deep large pan.pour boiling water halfway to pan sides,bake 50 minute ( or until skewere comes out clean),in a preheated 325 degree oven.
- 7Remove mold from water and chill for 3 hours.
- 8To unmold; run a knife around the ege and dip bottom of mold in hot water, turn molds upside down on serving plate.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Creme Flan With Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.0
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 118.0 mg
- Sodium 135.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g