Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dish goes wonderful with a roast pork or a turkey dinner! The recipe is enough for about 4-5 people but you can easily double it.
- 6 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed into about 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (can use oil)
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice (or use apple cider)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts (coarsley chopped or leave whole)
- In a bowl combine the 1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs with 3 tablespoons melted butter and pinenuts; set aside.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in leeks and saute for about 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl combine the cubed squash with sauteed leeks, apple, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg and black pepper; toss to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared casserole dish; pour the apple juice or apple cider over the mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle the prepared breadcrumb/pine nut mixture over the top, then return to oven uncovered for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.