Cook1 hr 30 mins
I found a recipe for mac and cheese with butternut squash, then another and combined them and added a few twists of my own. This is a delicious fall meal!
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (you can use a bit more of fresh)
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (sharp cheddar, fontina, mozzarella)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 lb pasta (rotini or elbows)
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- preheat oven to 425.
- combine squash, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- roast squash for about 40 minutes until it's tender and getting lightly browned.
- reduce oven temp to 350.
- meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet and saute onion, garlic and sage about 5 minutes.
- stir in flour 2 minutes.
- add milk and bring to a boil, whisking until thick.
- stir in cheeses, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- add squash, smashing with a whisk until desired consistency.
- cook pasta al dente, combine with sauce and pour into a greased casserole. Top with bread crumbs and bake 30-40 minutes.