1/3 Photos of Butternut Bisque
2 hrs 40 mins
This is one of my favorite fall time soups since Butternut squash is a plenty! I learned this a while back from my grandmother, and it has always been a hit for squash newcomers. Or even those that despise it! As far as the ingredients, the rosemary and the chicken broth (you can use vegetable) are to taste. The amount of chicken broth that you use depends on how thick or thin you would like it to be. Enjoy the wonderful fall taste! As well, the servings are based upon hearty servings. This amount makes about 2 1/2 - 3 quarts of soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2Heat up oil in a stock pot.
- 3While waiting for the oil to heat, mince the onion and bunch of rosemary.
- 4Once oil is heated put rosemary and onion in the stock pot.
- 5Turn heat to low.
- 6Take chicken broth and put in a separate pot. Put on low (even if using bullion to make broth).
- 8Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 9Peel squash and chop off long end.
- 10Take long end and cut in half, then the halves in thirds to make even for baking.
- 11Cut bottom of squash in half in order to scoop out seeds.
- 12Scoop out seed and make sure to scoop all strings out.
- 13Cut bottom squash halves into thirds as done with longer squash parts.
- 14Place squash in baking dish (may need 2 dishes).
- 15Brush all squash with olive oil (or if you do not have a brush just drizzle and mix).
- 16Place the sprigs of rosemary in with the squash.
- 17Put squash into the oven and leave for approximately 70 - 90 minute Be sure to check squash at 60 minute and stick a fork in the larger pieces. If the fork goes through, it is done. The cooking time all depends on the size of the squash pieces. Larger take longer and smaller take less.
- 18When squash is done remove the rosemary sprigs and put aside.
- 20Once squash is done, place it in the stock pot along with the base.
- 21Put enough chicken broth in the stock pot to cover at least half of the butternut squash. Let simmer for about 30 minute.
- 22Take a soup ladle and place the contents of the stock pot in your blender. Setting the blended parts into a separate container to cool. Be sure to blend well.
- 23**At this point taste to see if more rosemary is desired. If so, place the rosemary straight into the blender with the soup.**.
- 24**Also, this is when you should add more chicken broth to achieve your desired thickness. In order to not make it too thin, only add broth with sections of the bisque at a time, otherwise it could really turn out too thin.**.
- 25Once you are sure that all of the soup/bisque is well blended you can either place it back into the stock pot to heat for serving, or leave it in the containers enough to cool and then place in the fridge. Note: this taste really good the next day as well as at the time it is finished!
- 26Heat, serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.1
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 620.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: