- 3 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 60 g butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (a pinch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220 degree C (200 C for fan forced oven).
- Grease and flour a 8cm deep, 19cm (base) square cake tin.
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add butter and using fingertips rub butter in flour mix until mix resembles fine breadcrumbs (or give it a quick buzz in the food processor and then transfer mix to a bowl).
- Make a well in the centre and add buttermilk and using a flat bladed knife, stir until dough almost comes together.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together.
- Press out to a 3cm thick round.
- Dip a 5cm round cutter into flour to prevent dough sticking and cut out scones (biscuits).
- Gently press leftover dough pieces together and repeat cutting out more scones - should make a total of 16 scones.
- Place scones, touching into prepared tin.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until light golden and hollow when tapped on top.
- Serve with jam and cream or honey (or golden syrup) and cream .