Top Review by Um Safia
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin Kaboodles! I am a sucker for Panna Cotta & was eager to try this recipe. I added a little extra vanilla bean & used a vegetarian gelatin equivalent but the outcome was fabulous! Smooth, rich, creamy......DELICIOUS! Just before serving, I made 6 little strawberry roses to decorate them with. Thanks Bethie for a lovely recipe :)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (16 ounce) container strawberries, hulled,sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place six 3/4-cup custard cups on small baking sheet.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water in heavy small saucepan.
- Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 8 minutes.
- Immediately pour caramel into custard cups, dividing equally; tilt cups to cover bottoms evenly (caramel layer will be thin).
- Cool until caramel is set.
- Pour 1/4 cup whipping cream into small bowl; sprinkle gelatin over.
- Let stand until gelatin softens, about 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 6 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1 3/4 cups cream in heavy medium saucepan.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean.
- Bring just to simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add gelatin mixture and whisk until gelatin dissolves.
- Strain mixture into 4-cup glass measuring cup.
- Whisk in buttermilk.
- Divide mixture among caramel-lined custard cups.
- Refrigerate panna cotta uncovered overnight.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; keep chilled.) Toss strawberries and brown sugar in large bowl.
- Let stand until juices form, about 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Run small knife between panna cotta and custard cups to loosen.
- Invert onto plates.
- Using rubber spatula, scrape any caramel remaining on bottom of cups over panna cotta.
- Spoon sweetened strawberries alongside and serve.