Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
this sounds weird..but is oh so good!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, seperated
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells
- cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar in mixer bowl until light and fluffy --
- add vanilla and egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- stir in flour, lemon rind, spices and 1/4 tsp salt.blend well --
- pour in buttermilk.
- turn into pie shell --
- bake in preheated oven 425* for 8 minutes.
- reduce temperature to 325*.
- bake for 40 minutes or until set --
- cool for 30 minutes.
- beat egg whites with cream of tartar and dash of salt until soft peaks form.
- add remaining 1/3 cup sugar gradually.beating until stiff peaks form.
- spread over filling -- sealing to edges.
- bake in preheated 375* oven for 6 minutes.or until meringue is golden --
- chill until serving time.