Recipe by Sherrybeth
Got this recipe from a local newspaper and decided to post it before I lost it! Cooking time includes cooling/refrigeration time before serving.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (9 inch) baked pastry shells
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour.
- Gradually stir in buttermilk and water until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; approximately 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Temper by stirring a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return egg mixture to pan and stir constantly.
- Bring this mixture to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and butter, until butter is completely melted. Keep this mixture warm.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in sugar, 1 TBSP at a time and beat on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the hot filling into the baked pastry shell.
- Spread meringue evenly over top of filling sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least one hour, then refrigerate for 6 hours before serving.