Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
It's gingerbread with a twist :P You can substitute water for the buttermilk, or sour cream if you want a richer bread. If using water, reduce baking soda by 1/2 teaspoon. Don't worry if the top of the bread gets a bit dark - that's the molasses caramelising.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Stir in egg.
- Add molasses and buttermilk and mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the molasses mixture and stir until just smooth.
- Bake in a greased 8x8 pan for 25 minutes at 325°F Bread is done when tester comes out clean or with a little bit of crumb.