1/6 Photos of Buttermilk Fried Chicken
48 hrs 12 mins
24 hrs 12 mins
Gay Gilmore's Note:
Adapted from Alton Brown's Good Eats show. The crust on this chicken will really amaze you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces (you want the skin on, trust me, and if you buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself you save a bun)
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup flour, for dredging
- vegetable shortening, for frying
- 1Place chicken pieces into a plastic container and cover with buttermilk.
- 2Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours .
- 3Drain chicken in a colander.
- 4Combine salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- 5Liberally season chicken with this mixture.
- 6Then, dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess (by seasoning before you flour, you trap the seasoning under the flour coating, and you use a lot less seasoning than if you tried to put it in the flour and hope it catches on the chicken).
- 7Melt enough shortening (over low heat) to come just 1/8-inch up the side of a 12-inch cast iron skillet or heavy fry pan.
- 8Once shortening liquefies raise heat to 325 degrees F.
- 9Do not allow oil to go over 325 degrees F.
- 10Place chicken skin side down into the pan.
- 11Put thighs in the center (they take longer to cook and can use the extra center heat), and breast and legs around the edge of the pan.
- 12The oil should come half way up the pan once the chicken is added.
- 13Cook chicken until golden brown on each side, approximately 10-12 minutes per side.
- 14The internal temperature should be right around 180 degrees.
- 15(Be careful to monitor shortening temperature every few minutes).
- 16Drain chicken on a rack over a sheet pan, NOT on paper towels or brown paper bags which just cause the chicken to soak in their own oil.
- 17If you need to hold the chicken before serving, cover loosely with foil but avoid holding in a warm oven, especially if it?.
- 18s a gas oven, which is very moist and will ruin your beautiful chicken crust!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.8
- Calories from Fat 438
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 236.5 mg
- Sodium 5042.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 67.8 g