Buttermilk Fried Chicken With Gravy
photo by daisygrl64
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Place chicken in a large flat dish.
- Pour buttermilk over chicken and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a double-strength paper bag.
- Drain chicken and toss pieces one at a time in the flour mixture.
- Shake off excess and place on waxed paper for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil in a skillet.
- Fry chicken until browned on all sides.
- Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40 to 45 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Drain all about 1/4 cup drippings and stir in flour until bubbly.
- Add milk and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook 1 minute more.
- Add remaining water if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with chicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!