Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
The buttermilk adds a wonderful flavor to ordinary chocolate chip cookies.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream together shortening and sugars.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift together flour and soda.
- Add dry ingredients, alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop by teaspoon about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Put 1/2 walnut on top of each cookie.
- Bake in 350° degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from sheet and cool on racks.