Recipe by Charlotte J
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake topped with a Peanut Butter Frosting. Recipe did not say what size pan so try a 9X13 and let me know how that worked.
Top Review by Momma Mela
I found this cake very easy to make. Although I didn't have any buttermilk, I made the substitution w/ whole milk and vinegar. The cake was very very moist. Almost too much so, but the flavor was delicious.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter or 1⁄2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 -5 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine hot water and cocoa.
- Mix until smooth; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla and buttermilk.
- Add cocoa mixture and combine.
- Gradually add flour mixture, mixing just until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Frost with Peanut Butter Frosting.
- Peanut Butter Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, mix powdered sugar, vanilla and peanut butter.
- Gradually add milk, beat until smooth and creamy.