Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
use a short crust base see my other recipes for cheesecake pastry. Or use a graham crust as the recipe includes.
- 1⁄2 cup room temp butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed graham wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal (medium or coarse)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 24 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup room temperature butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 -2 lemon, zest of, of
- 3⁄4 cup dairy fresh buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Melt butter and add all other ingredients to make a crumb mixture.
- Butter a 9 inch spring pan and pat in the crumbs forming a shell.
- Bake for ten minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cream the butter with the cream cheese and zest of lemon.
- Beat well until nice and smooth.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla, again beat well and smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, incorporating each on well, but do not overbeat.
- Again will specify do not over beat.
- Pour into the prebaked crust and set into oven.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Bake then reducing heat to 300 and bake 25 more minutes.
- Reduce heat down again to 200 degrees and finish baking until just slightly jiggly in centre, this is about another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Can also place a small pot of water in the back corner of oven, or place in a water bath if desired.
- I usually dry bake all my cheesecakes, but this recipe allows for all types of baking.
- Remove and let cool to room temp on a rack for at least three hours.
- Then refrigerate and chill.
I made this last night and served today, my family didn't leave a crumb. The flavor is tangier than other plain cheesecake recipes, nice and creamy. I did sub splenda for the sugar and upped it by 1/4 cup. I also skipped the corn meal in the crust.