Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
I'm posting this recipe for the Chinese/Vietnamese New Year Tag Game—February 2008. It from the Joy of Wokking by Martin Yan. This is NOT for dieters.
Top Review by Mrs.Jack
Who can resist w/ a recipe name like this!!! These were a big hit at my Bejiing dinner tonight-thank you for suggesting! I used powdered sugar and did not use the sesame seeds. Fast, easy, and everyone loved them! Thank you for a great recipe!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut egg roll wrappers in half.
- Place 2 wrappers on top of each other.
- Cut a 3 1/2 " long slit in the centre of each.
- You make the butterflies by lifting one end and placing it through the centre cut and flipping over to the other side. Don't pull all the way through or you'll have to start over.
- Deep fry the butterflies in hot oil over medium high heat until golden brown.
- Drain and set aside.
- Make the syrup by combining the sugar and 1 1/2 tbsp oil and heating it in a heavy skillet over medium low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Keep hot.
- Coat the fried butterflies with hot, running syrup by placing the butterflies in the skillet and turning them until coated.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
- Note: You could use powdered sugar rather than syrup.