Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
This dough has been made every Christmas in my house. This recipe can be used to make not only cut-out cookies to give your family a rest from the normal sugar cookie recipe, but also has two other variations. One can roll them out and add a dab of jam or a pecan or walnut before baking, or add chopped up walnuts and roll dough in confectioner's sugar to make snow balls. They're all delicious. (Just remember to chill before baking - that's the key.)
- 3 cups butter
- 4 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3 large eggs
- 7 1⁄2 cups flour
- Mix eggs, butter, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and stir well.
- For Cutouts: CHILL WELL.
- Roll out for cookie cutters.
- For Jam Centers: Place dough on wax paper.
- Roll into a tube form with the wax paper surrounding it well.
- Place in refrigerator and CHILL WELL.
- When chilled, cut off slices of the tubed dough to make a round cookie.
- You can press a spot in the center for the jam to be placed, or just put a nut there for another alternative.
- For Snow Balls: Before chilling, add 1 1/2 cups walnuts.
- CHILL WELL.
- When chilled, make small 1 inch balls out of dough and roll them in Confectioner's sugar.
- Bake all three types at 400°F for 8-10 minutes.
- The cookies should brown slightly.
I liked this alot, a perfect texture and taste and so easy to cut out, definately err on the thick side if you are going to decorate them and pay close attention to time in the oven. Do not overcook unless you want crispy cookies, but they still tasted good!
Outstanding recipe. I added chopped pecans and made marvelous butter pecan cookies for a party. I'll use this recipe for holidays and for gift tins.
Awesome recipe, dough was easy to work with and the cookies came out tasting wonderful. I frosted some with icing and others I sprinkled with colored sugar before baking. Everyone loved them!