Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe comes from O Magazine. I made it for a spring birthday party and it's just divine! The lemon curd recipe comes from Cooking Light (O used store bought curd which is fine too) and I find it's just as good as the full fat version. For gorgeous presentation you can serve with a few fresh raspberries and a sprig of mint on the side.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour (not self rise)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup lemon curd, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice (appx 3 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Lemon cream frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup lemon curd
- lemon zest (to garnish)
- raspberries (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 3 8" round cake pans; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping and beating well after each addition, about 5 minutes.
- Combine milk with vanilla extract. With mixer on lowest speed, add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture in three parts, scraping down sides ocasionally and beating until ingredients are just combined. Pour batter into prepared pans, spreading evenly to the edges.
- Place cake pans on 2 oven racks so that one is not directly above another. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pans on wire racks 15 minute Invert cake layers onto racks, and then turn right side up to cool completely.
- To assemble: Place one layer on a serving plate. Top with lemon curd, spreading to within 1 inch of cake edge. Tope iwth another layer and spread with jam to within 1 inch of cake edge. Place third layer right side up on top and press lightly into place. Spread a thin layer of frosting on top layer. Refrigerate cake for 1 hour. Forst sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish top with lemon zest and raspberries. Refrig until ready to serve at least 1 1/2 hours. Allow cake to stand at room temp 30 minutes before serving.
- Lemon Curd:
- Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is light in color, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and butter, cook for 5 minutes or until mixture thinly coats back of spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cool, cover and chill.
- In a small bowl, whip heavy cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold in lemon curd and chill until ready to use.