Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is another old recipe I had from Family Circle Magazine, February 1982. This is a delicious cake with a wonderful burnt sugar flavor. The color of the cake is a beautiful deep golden color. The frosting recipe follows the cake recipe.
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Burnt Sugar Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons burnt sugar syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pecan halves
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped pecans
Burnt Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- Burnt Sugar Syrup:.
- Heat 1 cup sugar in a large skillet over low heat.
- until melted and amber colored;.
- remove from heat.
- Carefully stir in 1 cup boiling water until sugar is disolved; cool.
- Pepare burnt sugar syrup, cool.
- Measure 1/2 for cake.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons or more for frosting.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder onto wax paper.
- Grease two 9 by 1 1/2 inch layer cake pans.
- line with wax paper.
- grease wax paper.
- Preheat oven to moderate (350 degrees).
- Beat butter with one cup of the sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Beat in the 1/2 cup burnt sugar syrup.
- Stir in flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- beating after each addition.
- until batter is smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a medium size bowl.
- until foamy.
- Beat in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar slowly.
- until meringne forms soft peaks.
- Fold meringne into batter until no streaks of white remain.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated moderate (350 degree) oven.
- for 25 minutes or.
- until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip.
- cool pans on wire rack 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Peel off paper.
- cool completely.
- Fill and frost with Burnt Sugar Frosting.
- Garnish with pecan halves and chopped pecans.
- Burnt Sugar Frosting:.
- Mix cream cheese and butter together until well blended.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar, burnt sugar syrup and vanilla.
- Frost layers, top and sides with frostin.
- Garnish top with pecan halves around the rim of cake.
- Press chopped pecans arounds sides of cake.