Jane from Ohio's Note:
This is another old recipe I had from Family Circle Magazine, February 1982. This is a delicious cake with a wonderful burnt sugar flavor. The color of the cake is a beautiful deep golden color. The frosting recipe follows the cake recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
Burnt Sugar Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons burnt sugar syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pecan halves
- 1/2-1 cup chopped pecans
Burnt Sugar Syrup
- 1Burnt Sugar Syrup:.
- 2Heat 1 cup sugar in a large skillet over low heat.
- 3until melted and amber colored;.
- 4remove from heat.
- 5Carefully stir in 1 cup boiling water until sugar is disolved; cool.
- 6Pepare burnt sugar syrup, cool.
- 7Measure 1/2 for cake.
- 8Reserve 3 tablespoons or more for frosting.
- 9Sift flour, salt and baking powder onto wax paper.
- 10Grease two 9 by 1 1/2 inch layer cake pans.
- 11line with wax paper.
- 12grease wax paper.
- 13Preheat oven to moderate (350 degrees).
- 14Beat butter with one cup of the sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl.
- 15Beat until fluffy.
- 16Beat in the 1/2 cup burnt sugar syrup.
- 17Stir in flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- 18beating after each addition.
- 19until batter is smooth.
- 20Beat egg whites in a medium size bowl.
- 21until foamy.
- 22Beat in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar slowly.
- 23until meringne forms soft peaks.
- 24Fold meringne into batter until no streaks of white remain.
- 25Pour into prepared pans.
- 26Bake in preheated moderate (350 degree) oven.
- 27for 25 minutes or.
- 28until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip.
- 29cool pans on wire rack 5 minutes.
- 30Remove from pans.
- 31Peel off paper.
- 32cool completely.
- 33Fill and frost with Burnt Sugar Frosting.
- 34Garnish with pecan halves and chopped pecans.
- 35Burnt Sugar Frosting:.
- 36Mix cream cheese and butter together until well blended.
- 37Gradually add confectioners sugar, burnt sugar syrup and vanilla.
- 38Frost layers, top and sides with frostin.
- 39Garnish top with pecan halves around the rim of cake.
- 40Press chopped pecans arounds sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burnt Sugar Cake
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.5
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 126.6 mg
- Sodium 406.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 57.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: