Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A nice change from your everyday meatloaf.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup soft white breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup dry red Burgundy wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce & mushrooms, heated
- In a large bowl, combine ground meat, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, wine, basil, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- On a 12 inch square piece of aluminum foil, crisscross 3 bacon slices.
- Shape meat mixture into a 6 inch round and place on top of bacon.
- Top meatloaf with remaining bacon slices, cut in half.
- Place bay leaf on top of bacon slices.
- Lift foil with loaf into slow cooker; cover.
- Cook on High for 1 hour, turn heat to low and cook 4 more hours or until meatloaf is done.
- Remove loaf from slow cooker by lifting the foil, titling fat back into the crockpot.
- Discard bacon and bay leaf.
- Serve with heated tomato sauce poured over it.