Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Bunneh LOVES these! After he has his treat, he thanks me by licking a hole in my arm, or darned near! You could replace the carrot with apple or pear, but keep in mind these are treats, not a regular diet/food, and should be given sparingly. For a bunny, 1 tablespoon of fruit a day is the maximum you should give your furball. Timothy hay pellets are the best type of pellets, Zupreem the best brand. Recipe adapted from Brenda Plaxton's.
- Mix pureed carrot, mashed banana and honey in a medium bowl.
- Add ground pellets and ground oats. Mix until blended.
- Knead in your hands for 1-2 minutes. It'll probably be pretty sticky.
- Place dough on large piece of parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Roll dough to about 1/8” thickness. Peel off plastic wrap.
- Score flattened dough with large knife in 1-inch cross sections like tiles. You’re not separating the tiles, just scoring them for easy breaking apart later.
- Transfer parchment onto cookie sheet and bake at 325F for about 30-40 minutes, checking to make sure they don’t over-brown.
- Turn off the oven, leaving the cookie sheet in the oven for another hour until the treats dry to crispness.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on cooling rack.
- Break the tiles apart - easy! – and store in a zip lock bag in the fridge.
- Give one to your bunny on each day that he/she is adorable. (That’s every day, of course!).
My rabbit Chip loves these! The recipe is very simple and didnt take a lot of time to make. Thanks for the great recipe my bun bun loves them.
Well, the bunnys didn't exactly go for them. I mean they ate them, but they had to sniff a lot first. I suppose that it's just a little new to them. But I made the same thing using guinea pig food and she LOVES them!!! I used 3 mini bananas and leftover broccoli instead of the carrots and a few apple slices. I also added a few drops of piggy vita-drops.(for added nutrition) You could probably use any mixture of 1-2 fruit and 1 veggie. Or, throw in 1-2 jars of baby food. (NOT meat flavor) Also, because they are so crunchy and hard, I don't have to buy chew toys for her!! (to wear down their teeth. Thanks SO much for posting!!!
Hi Sandi, What a fabulous recipe! Many bunny owners from the Usenet group alt.pets.rabbits have now seen your bunny treats. Thanks! My dear bun of 14 passed away this past May, so I can't make the treats for him. Kiss Bunneh for me!