Low Fat Carrot Dog Treats
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 medium banana, ripe
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄8 cup water, more as needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (keep some handy for rolling)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle a little flour onto the surface you’re planning to use to roll out the dough.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana and mix in the shredded carrots.
- To the carrot and banana, add the water and apple juice. Stir.
- Add the oats and flour. Stir all of the ingredients together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Using your hands, knead the mixture until a dough forms. Dump the dough onto the lightly floured surface that you prepared earlier.
- Roll out the dough until it’s about a half inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter (bone shapes are fun!) or the rim of a small glass, cut into 3″ pieces. Place the pieces onto your lightly sprayed baking sheet.
- Bake the dog treats for 25 minutes.
- Before “serving”, let them cool completely.
- *Tip: If your dog likes a little more crunch to his treats, then turn off the oven and let the treats cool there overnight.
- This recipe makes about 24 low fat, healthy dog treats.They’ll last about 3 weeks, if stored in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
If the comments say My kids loved it! then I will probably think it's bland or otherwise yucky... so I don't make recipes that have a lot of My kids loved it! comments.