Recipe by The Spice Guru
My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading seasoning. Yields enough seasoning for 6 batches fried chicken or 12 batches Kentucky Fried Pork Chops. Mix 1/2 level cup of this blend with 2 cups unbleached breading flour for frying one fryer chicken or up to 16 drumsticks. Follow KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for brining, preparation and frying instructions.
BASE MIXTURE (READ ALL NOTES)
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 9 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons egg white powder (cornstarch okay)
- 2 tablespoons Accent seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 10 tablespoons ground peppercorns (6 Tbsps black, plus 4 tbsps white)
- 4 tablespoons dalmatian ground sage
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon ground savory
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground vanilla beans
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTES: FOR AUTHENTIC RESULTS, PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. MSG (ACCENT SEASONING) IS IN THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL RECIPE, BUT MAY BE OMITTED IF NECESSARY. EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE EGG WHITE POWDER WITH CORNSTARCH. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER AND GROUND GINGER, SPICE ISLANDS BRAND GROUND SAGE AND CARDAMOM, SPICE APPEAL BRAND GROUND SAVORY, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEAN.
- MEASURE the BASE MIXTURE and 11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES into a large re-sealable container (this includes the prepared BARBECUE SEASONING recipe).
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place.
- WHEN ready to use, measure 1/2 level cup of this mixture plus 2 cups unbleached breading flour into a large re-sealable container.
- SEAL the container with flour and seasoning; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).