My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading seasoning. Yields enough seasoning for 6 batches fried chicken or 12 batches Kentucky Fried Pork Chops. Mix 1/2 level cup of this blend with 2 cups unbleached breading flour for frying one fryer chicken or up to 16 drumsticks. Follow KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for brining, preparation and frying instructions.
BASE MIXTURE (READ ALL NOTES)
- 9 tablespoons fine sea salt (level)
- 6 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 tablespoons Accent seasoning
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons egg white powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 1⁄2 cup ground tellicherry black pepper (level)
- 6 tablespoons seasoned mild chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons ground sage
- 2 tablespoons ground winter savory
- 1 tablespoon hickory smoke salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground anise seeds
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground celery salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground tarragon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground vanilla bean
- NOTES: PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. DO NOT OMIT ACCENT SEASONING (IT LENDS THE AUTHENTIC SWEET FLAVOR). EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER, MARION-KAY BRAND GROUND GINGER, GROUND (WINTER) SAVORY, AND HICKORY SMOKE SEASONING, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEAN. WINTER SAVORY MAY BE SUBSTITUTED WITH THE FOLLOWING BLEND (GRIND INGREDIENTS IN A SPICE MILL, THEN USE 2 TABLESPOONS): 1/2 tablespoon ground chamomile, 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander, 1/2 tablespoon ground parsley, 1/2 tablespoon ground rosemary, 1/2 tablespoon ground thyme, 3/4 teaspoon ground dried lemon peel, 3/4 teaspoon ground mint.
- MEASURE only the BASE MIXTURE and 11 HERBS AND SPICES ingredients into a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag.
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place.
- WHEN ready to use, measure 1/2 level cup of this mixture plus 2 cups unbleached breading flour into a large re-sealable container.
- SEAL the container with flour and seasoning; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).