Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading seasoning. Yields enough seasoning for 6 batches fried chicken or 12 batches Kentucky Fried Pork Chops. Mix 1/2 level cup of this blend with 2 cups unbleached breading flour for frying one fryer chicken or up to 16 drumsticks. Follow KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for brining, preparation and frying instructions.
BASE MIXTURE (READ ALL NOTES)
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 9 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons Accent seasoning
- 4 tablespoons egg white powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 6 tablespoons fresh ground tellicherry black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning (use the recipe provided below)
- 3 tablespoons ground sage
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground savory
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground vanilla beans
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
FOR THE BARBECUE SEASONING
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- NOTES: PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. DO NOT OMIT ACCENT SEASONING (IT LENDS THE AUTHENTIC SWEET FLAVOR). EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE EGG WHITE POWDER WITH 1 TABLESPOON XANTHAN GUM (ALSO SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES), PLUS 3 TABLESPOONS FLOUR. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER AND SMOKED PAPRIKA, SPICE ISLANDS BRAND GROUND SAGE AND CARDAMOM, SPICE APPEAL BRAND GROUND SAVORY, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEAN. USE ONLY LAWRY'S SEASONED SALT FOR THE BARBECUE SEASONING.
- MEASURE the BASE MIXTURE and 11 HERBS AND SPICES ingredients into a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag.
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place.
- WHEN ready to use, measure 1/2 level cup of this mixture plus 2 cups unbleached breading flour into a large re-sealable container.
- SEAL the container with flour and seasoning; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).
Utter perfection! I can't believe I actually have the recipe to make KFC!
My friend, you have nailed it!!! Yet again!!! My eldest son has told me that he will make good use of any of the bulk mix left over that I don't use ~ haha! I have forwarded him the recipe! Very nice, and I think that perhaps this is the one that I was hoping for since the last one I reviewed went MIA. This is as close to KFC as I've had without actually stealing a broken bag of mix! :) You are truly the "Spice Guru" and I bow to you! Keep up the good work!
Wow! Great mix! Makes great K F C chicken!