Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading seasoning. Yields enough seasoning for 6 batches fried chicken or 12 batches Kentucky Fried Pork Chops. Mix 1/2 level cup of this blend with 2 cups unbleached breading flour for frying one fryer chicken or up to 16 drumsticks. Follow KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for brining, preparation and frying instructions.
BASE MIXTURE (READ ALL NOTES)
- 2⁄3 cup fine sea salt, plus
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 tablespoons Accent seasoning
- 4 tablespoons egg white powder
- 2 tablespoons unbleached bread flour
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 1⁄2 cup ground tellicherry black pepper (level)
- 3 tablespoons ground sage
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground vanilla
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- NOTES: PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. DO NOT OMIT ACCENT SEASONING (IT LENDS THE AUTHENTIC SWEET FLAVOR). EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER AND SMOKED PAPRIKA, SPICE ISLANDS BRAND GROUND SAGE, SPICE APPEAL BRAND GROUND SAVORY, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEANS.
- MEASURE the BASE MIXTURE and 11 HERBS AND SPICES ingredients into a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag.
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place.
- WHEN ready to use, measure 1/2 level cup of this mixture plus 2 cups unbleached breading flour into a large re-sealable container.
- SEAL the container with flour and seasoning; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).
Utter perfection! I can't believe I actually have the recipe to make KFC!
My friend, you have nailed it!!! Yet again!!! My eldest son has told me that he will make good use of any of the bulk mix left over that I don't use ~ haha! I have forwarded him the recipe! Very nice, and I think that perhaps this is the one that I was hoping for since the last one I reviewed went MIA. This is as close to KFC as I've had without actually stealing a broken bag of mix! :) You are truly the "Spice Guru" and I bow to you! Keep up the good work!
Wow! Great mix! Makes great K F C chicken!