From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. Adapted from a Jewish dessert. "It is a Sephardic pudding (alternately called prehito, moustrahana, and belila) that is common among the Jews of Turkey, who serve it to celebrate the fall holiday of Sukkot." "This dessert cooks in a flash and can be served warm or chilled. Leftovers make a delicious breakfast."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fine bulgur (medium bulgur for a more coarsely textured pudding)
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4-1/3 cup honey, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried currants or 1/3 cup raisins
- ice cream (optional) or sweetened whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- 1Combine the bulgur and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until the water is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in the milk, 1/4 cup of honey, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, uncovered, at a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture develops the consistency of porridge, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the walnuts, dates, and currants.
- 4Sweeten with additional honey, if desired.
- 5Serve warm in bowls.
- 6Top with a scoop of ice cream, if you wish.
- 8Bulgur-Date Pudding Cake:
- 9Pour the hot pudding into a buttered 8-9 inch square pan.
- 10Cool it to room temperature.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 12Cut the pudding into 6 or 9 portions and set them on plates.
- 13Hazelnut-Fig Pudding:.
- 14Use hazelnuts instead of walnuts and figs instead of dates.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgur Pudding With Honey and Dates
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.3
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.2 mg
- Sodium 122.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 35.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g