Barley and Sesame Chicken Stir-Fry
photo by jackierpressley_121
- Ready In:
For the sauce
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce, plus more if needed (shoyu or tamari)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (can use 2 tbsp plain rice vinegar plus 1/2 tsp white sugar)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (whole-grain is nice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon molasses or 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground star anise (optional) or 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (optional)
For the stir-fry
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 4 4 cups cooked chinese black rice (can use a mix also) or 4 cups cooked colusari red rice (can use a mix also)
- First make the sauce:.
- In a bowl, combine the sherry, soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, molasses and red pepper flakes.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips along the grain and place them in a small bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the sauce and toss the chicken to coat. Set aside.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stalks. Reserve the stalks for another purpose. Cut the florets into small pieces about 1 1/2 inches across the top.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the surface. Add the broccoli and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken, water chestnuts, cooked barley, and remaining sauce. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sesame seeds and scallion greens. Add more soy sauce, if needed.
- Chenin Blanc is the recommended wine to drink with this dish.
- Vegetarian Brown Rice and Tofu Stir-Fry:.
- Instead of chicken, use 1 pound Asian-style baked tofu, cut into cubes.
- Cook for only 1 minute before adding the sesame seeds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Really good, great new way to use barley. I used 2 chicken breasts and 1 1/4 cups of dry barley. I couldn't fit the barley in my pan (I need a wok!) so I mixed it with the sauce in a large bowl. I used half the red pepper flakes which was plenty and the kids liked it. I think I might increase the brown sugar a little next time and use the full amount of 5 spice. A healthy winner, thanks!
the stir-fry sauce from this was wonderful although I increased the red pepper flakes and the fresh garlic, I used regular low-sodium soy sauce as that is all I had, I will try this again using tamari, I am not sure I would use cooked barley again for stir-fry although I did this time I think it would have been better using the rice, all in all we did enjoy, thanks for sharing Engrossed!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm not as active here anymore, but you can find me playing at the new recipezazz.com. I'm not a great photographer, but I love to take food photos with Freddy Cat to bring a smile to people's day. I love to cook and share good food with other people. I have a very large collection of cookbooks. I used to enjoy being able to look up recipes on Zaar by ingredients I had on hand. I miss the Zaar tag game community. Everyone was so nice, and it was super fun. Ah, the good ol' days.