Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from an Eastern European cookbook when we were first married. My husband loves lemon, and he loves this sweet, light cake.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
- Cream butter in large bowl.
- Add sugar.
- Beat with mixer until creamy and light.
- Add eggs one at a time, then lemon rind. Beat again. Stir in yogurt.
- Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into yogurt mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into greased cake pan 9" square. Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until toothpick tests done.
- Cool for five minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
I love this cake! I've made it twice now and added dried currants the first time. This time I'm baking it in a bundt pan