I saw these on Rachael Ray's episode with Kristin Davis. She recommends serving them on kimmelwick (also spelled kummelweck) rolls, Kaiser rolls topped with lots of pretzel salt and caraway seeds. I reduced the amount of grill seasoning and increased from 4 to 6 burgers based on the reviews.
Buffalo Turkey Burgers
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey breast
- 2 -4 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chives, plus extra chopped (to garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Blue Cheese Gravy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup blue cheese
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 3 stalks celery, cut into sticks
- 4 kaiser rolls (kimmelwick rolls) or 4 slices rye bread (thick slices)
- In a large bowl, mix the turkey, grill seasoning, hot sauce, chives, parsley and garlic. Form six patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with two tablespoons olive oil, two turns around the pan. Sauté the burgers about five minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and cook it for about 1 minute. Whisk the milk into the roux and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. When the milk comes up to a bubble and has thickened, take the pan off the heat and stir the blue cheese into the sauce in a figure-eight motion.
- To serve, place the top of the roll or a slice of rye bread on a plate, top with the burger. Serve with celery and carrot sticks and a cup of warm, blue cheese dip garnished with some chopped chives alongside. You can also drizzle some buffalo sauce over the top.
I am giving this five stars although it was too salty, because the basic recipe is good. Thankfully I listened to "shimmy shake's" advice about the grill seasoning-mine was too salty! I think I could have cut that in half and been fine. Having said that, all five of my children liked the burgers and my dh went back for seconds. I cannot imagine how large the burgers would be if you made only four. We had nine good-sized burgers from this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
I would give it a 4, but my roomates were much less impressed by these than I was. The reccomended patty size was huge, and they need more hot-sauce and maybe a bit of chili-powder. They were very un-buffalo with that level of spice. Of course, maybe I just needed better hot-sauce.
Made these for the first time today. I have to say that I was not expecting them to be this good. I would definitely make them again. I can't think of anything to add or change to improve this recipe, save perhaps using low fat blue cheese dressing from a bottle instead of the homemade gravy to reduce the total fat of the recipe. Also, depending on the type of grill seasoning you use, you might want to omit the extra salt because there might be plenty in the seasoning. Rachael gets a gold star for this one!