Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Buffalo Stew for the slow cooker. Free Range Buffalo is lower in fat and cholesterol than even chicken breast. The general rule for cooking buffalo is "Lower, Slower"; lower temperatures for longer time than beef.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs buffalo, cut into small pieces (like stew meat)
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 sweet potatoes, with skin
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 bay leaves
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Dredge Buffalo in Flour, set aside.
- Slice Sweet Potatoes, place in bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cut onions into large pieces and layer over potatoes.
- Clean Mushrooms thoroughly, cut in half, and layer over onions.
- Layer Baby Carrots over mushrooms.
- Layer floured Buffalo over carrots.
- Pour Diced Tomatoes and liquid evenly over Buffalo.
- Season with Bay Leaf, Oregano, and Pepper.
- Pour Vegetable Broth evenly over all.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring towards end.
This was great! Had to reduce the amount of onions and mushrooms as we only had 1 lb of stew meat. Kept the potatoes the same and added garlic. I got the buffalo online and it was really good, much better than beef. Will be using this recipe again.
So easy and tasty! I added pepper and garlic salt on top at the beginning and it didn't need anything once we served it.
Love this recipe! Delicious and nutritious.