This is an authentic Native Canadian recipe. You can make the soup in advance but then remove the cooked berries and add fresh ones just before serving.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs buffalo steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup blackberry (use blueberries,or saskatoons if they are more readily available)
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 3 teaspoons flour
- Heat the bacon drippings (veggie oil) in a heavy saucepan and brown the buffalo meat.
- Add stock, green onions, berries, salt, pepper& honey, Simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Mix flour with six tbsp of the soup& add it to the soup to thicken the soup slightly.