Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
These faux "burgers" are made with fresh shiitake mushrooms (plus some dried, for a flavor boost), bulgur, and some shredded mozzarella to help hold things together. Add a chopped chipotle pepper to ketchup for a smoky, spicy topping.
- 1⁄2 cup dried shiitake mushroom
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 slices firm sandwich bread
- 1 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, stems removed and caps quartered
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup bulgur
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In small bowl, combine dried mushrooms and boiling water.
- Let stand 20 minutes until softened.
- With your fingers, scoop the mushrooms out of the soaking liquid.
- Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve; set aside.
- Finely chop mushrooms.
- In a food processor, process bread until finely crumbed; set aside.
- Add fresh mushrooms to processor and process until finely chopped.
- In large saucepan, heat 2 tsp of oil over low heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add fresh mushrooms and reconstituted dried mushrooms; stir to combine.
- Add bulgur, salt, rosemary, and mushroom soaking liquid.
- Increase heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in bread and mozzarella.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp oil over medium heat.
- Shape mushroom mixture into 4 patties.
- Cook 3 minutes per side over medium heat until crusty and heated through.