WAY back in the 80's, I attended chef school and one of the recipes we made was for a Buche Noel. It was very labor intense, but very tasty and very pleasing to the eye...If you have the time it is well worth it
- 3⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white
- candies cherries
- maraschino cherry
- spearmint candy leaf
- MAKING THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter bottom of 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan; line with waxed or parchment paper.
- Next butter paper and slides of pan; dust with flour.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Beat until thick and fluffy.
- Fold in water and vanilla, then flour mixture, stir until smooth.
- Spread mixture evenly in pan and bake 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle a kitchen towel with cake flour.
- Immediately after removing cake from oven, loosen edges and turn it out onto the towel.
- Peel off waxed paper and trim the edges.
- Staring with the narrow end, roll the cake up in the towel.
- Let it stand for 20 minutes on a cake rack.
- PREPARING THE FILLING: While cake is standing, sprinkle gelatin over water to soften; place mixture over low heat until dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in gelatin mixture, then almond extract and confectioners' sugar.
- Cover and chill 5 to 10 minutes.
- Unroll the cake and spread with whipped cream filling; roll up again.
- Cover and chill at least one hour
- PREPARING THE FROSTING: Melt chocolate over low heat with the instant coffee; cool slightly.
- Cream butter; gradually add 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Blend in chocolate mixture, salt and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites, gently but thoroughly.
- Frost cake roll.
- Draw a fork down the top of cake for a"bark" effect.
- Decorate with whole almonds and candied cherries.
- Chill thoroughly before serving.
- If cake is frozen, thaw to serve, without allowing cake to become warm.
- If desired, garnish cake platter with candy spearmint leaves and maraschino cherries.