1/7 Photos of Buche De Noel (Yule Log)
Chef Boy of Dee's's Note:
WAY back in the 80's, I attended chef school and one of the recipes we made was for a Buche Noel. It was very labor intense, but very tasty and very pleasing to the eye...If you have the time it is well worth it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white
- 1MAKING THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Butter bottom of 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan; line with waxed or parchment paper.
- 3Next butter paper and slides of pan; dust with flour.
- 4Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 5Beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored.
- 6Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition.
- 7Beat until thick and fluffy.
- 8Fold in water and vanilla, then flour mixture, stir until smooth.
- 9Spread mixture evenly in pan and bake 12 to 15 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, sprinkle a kitchen towel with cake flour.
- 11Immediately after removing cake from oven, loosen edges and turn it out onto the towel.
- 12Peel off waxed paper and trim the edges.
- 13Staring with the narrow end, roll the cake up in the towel.
- 14Let it stand for 20 minutes on a cake rack.
- 15PREPARING THE FILLING: While cake is standing, sprinkle gelatin over water to soften; place mixture over low heat until dissolved, stirring constantly.
- 16Cool to room temperature.
- 17Beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- 18Fold in gelatin mixture, then almond extract and confectioners' sugar.
- 19Cover and chill 5 to 10 minutes.
- 20Unroll the cake and spread with whipped cream filling; roll up again.
- 21Cover and chill at least one hour
- 22PREPARING THE FROSTING: Melt chocolate over low heat with the instant coffee; cool slightly.
- 23Cream butter; gradually add 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- 24Blend in chocolate mixture, salt and vanilla.
- 25Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 26Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites, gently but thoroughly.
- 27Frost cake roll.
- 28Draw a fork down the top of cake for a"bark" effect.
- 29Decorate with whole almonds and candied cherries.
- 30Chill thoroughly before serving.
- 31If cake is frozen, thaw to serve, without allowing cake to become warm.
- 32If desired, garnish cake platter with candy spearmint leaves and maraschino cherries.
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buche De Noel (Yule Log)
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.0
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 188.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 21.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g