Recipe by coconutty
I looked at a lot of recipes for date bars on this site and didn't find one exactly like mine. This is my adaptation of my grandma's recipe - hers called for shortening but I use butter. I also eliminated the sugar in the date filling. Sometimes I add a little lemon rind to the date filling, although that is not written into the recipe. Prep time is an estimate.
- 4 cups cut-up dates
- 1 cup water
Oatmeal Crumb Crust
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare Date Filling: Combine dates and water in a saucepan. Cook, stirring over low heat until thick (about 10 minutes) Cool; set aside.
- Mix soft butter and brown sugar thoroughly.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture.
- Add oats; mix.
- Place half of the crumb mixture in a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. Press and flatten to cover bottom of pan.
- Spread with cooled Date Filling.
- Cover with remaining crumb mixture and pat lightly to smooth surface.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- While warm, cut into bars and remove from pan. Makes about 18 1 ½ x 2 inch bars.
- NOTE: Though I didn't write it into the recipe, sometimes I add a little lemon rind and lemon juice to the date filling.