Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
My youngest daughter refers to these as "Monkey Bread" and has been requesting them a lot lately. They are somewhat time consuming, but well worth it. Brown sugar and cinnamon can be substituted for the cinnamon and sugar if you wish to have a caramel flavor.
- Make 1 recipe of your favorite sweet white bread dough.
- Let rise until double.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Spray (non-stick cooking spray) or grease an angel food cake pan.
- Pull off pieces of dough (walnut size) and dip in melted butter, then in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Drop coated balls into angel food pan until it is half full.
- Let rise again.
- Then drop more coated balls into pan until it lacks 1-inch of being full.
- Let rise again, then bake at 350 deg F until done.
- Turn upside down to cool.
- Pull off balls to serve and eat.
Here's a hint to really save you a lot of time and trouble. Go to the freezer section at the grocery store. They have pre-made frozen roll dough of almost every variety. Some are a little big, and I just cut those in half. Much easier than dealing with making the dough yourself.
This made a very tasty breakfast cake. I used a sourdough recipe for the bread and brown sugar. Instead of pinching off balls of dough, I lightly rolled it out about 1 inch thick and cut it into small squares with my pizza cutter. This made it quicker, I think. Nuts would also be a nice addition, but I didn't think of that until after the fact. Thanks for the recipe, Cindy Lynn!
I have found an easier way to make this recipe if you don't want to make your own bread. I buy 2 tubes of biscuits and slice each biscuit into quarters then roll them in the sugar and layer. Its a very yummy recipe.