3 hrs 15 mins
This is an "honest to goodness Jewish chicken soup" recipe that has been in my family for years. It is guaranteed to cure whatever ails you, and it is delicious on a cold night. You may use some of the boiled chicken for a chicken salad (check my other recipes) or put it all back into the soup. My mother says it's best when made with a kosher chicken, but I've fooled her on that. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and skin chicken, and place in large soup pot.
- 2Cover with water and simmer in covered pot for two hours, skimming foam from top of pot.
- 3Remove and reserve chicken.
- 4Add vegetables, simmer for another hour.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Some people like to remove the vegetables and strain the soup, but I like to leave them in.
- 7Chill overnight and scrape fat from surface.
- 8Reheat and add reserved shredded chicken.
- 9Serve with noodles or matzoh balls.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bubbe's Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.5
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 106.3 mg
- Sodium 111.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 26.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: