Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A traditional Mennonite bread, tasty. This recipe is from my Great-Great-Great Grandmother.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (scalded and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sausage
- Dissolve yeast into 1 cup of warm water and 1 Tbsp sugar. Add yeast to milk, add beaten egg, salt and enough flour to make a stiff dough that can hardly be beaten with a spoon.
- Pour dough into greased pan (10x12 inches).
- Press 3 inch lengths of sausage, quite close together.
- Let rise one hour.
- Bake at 350°F until done, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Serve hot.