Recipe by rica
This is a great way to serve Brussels Sprouts. Even us non-sprout-likers will rave about this one! It's quick and easy to prepare, and you can halve all ingredients without problems.
Top Review by Buster's friend
Halved the recipe, got started & discovered - No lemon! Lots of oranges though. I peeled & chopped 2 navel oranges & threw them in with 1 T orange zest after sauteing shallots & walnuts. Forgot the garlic, my bad (just noticed that LOL). Seasoned with kosher salt & fresh ground pepper. Though admittedly a divergence from your recipe, it was wolfed at the table! The walnuts were fantastic! Necessity is the mother of invention. I will make your recipe again, next time properly with the garlic & lemon! Thank you, rica, for yet another great way to eat brussels sprouts!
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, base & outer leaves trimmed,and halved
- 8 tablespoons butter, not margarine
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced shallots or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and add the Sprouts.
- COok until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots/ onions and garlic, and cook for one minute.
- Add the sprouts in one layer and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and when melted, add the walnuts and cook, stirring, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and sprouts, and stir well to coat and heat through.
- Transfer to a warm serving bowl and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Serve immediately.