Recipe by Katherine in Alberta
This is positively the ultimate recipe yet for brussel sprouts and the taste is unbelievable. Once again my wonderful girlfriend Betty passed this recipe onto me. Bon Appetit!
Top Review by Polish Chick
Can't wait to try this. One suggestion in answer to Brenda's comment: Maybe the "missing" thing is a splash of lemon juice. It helps with stronger tasting vegetables like this. P.S. I did try it- and it got rave reviews!
- 2 -3 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups warm homogenized milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded old sharp white cheddar cheese (divide in half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Parboil the brussel sprouts for 7 minutes and drain.
- Place into a 2-3 quart oven proof dish.
- Saute the onion in butter until clear and then add the flour and stir.
- Add the warm milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, 3/4 cup cheese and stir.
- Pour filling over brussel sprouts.
- Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
- This can be prepared and frozen until needed.