Recipe by mollypaul
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. This hearty dish would serve as well as a main dish as it would a side and is courtesy of the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time.
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain, place in kettle and cover with boiling salted water and cook until tender, 3 to 5 hours.
- Dice bacon and fry until crisp; drain well.
- Slice onions thinly and fry in bacon fat.
- Mix bacon, vinegar and cooked onions with the beans; serve.