Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From www.pomwondeful.com. This unusual combination of flavors uses fresh pomegranate juice or for an easier version use bottled 100% pomegranate juice. Have not tested this recipe yet.
- 2 -3 fresh pomegranates or 1 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped almonds or 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- PREPARING THE POMEGRANATE SYRUP: Cut 2 to 3 pomegranates in half and using a citrus reamer, juice the pomegranates until you have 1 cup liquid. (Warning: Wear old clothes and an apron to do this!).
- Pour the juice through a strainer lined with cheesecloth or use a sieve. NOTE: As an alternate, use 1 cup bottled 100% pomegrante juice instead of fresh pomegranates to prepare the syrup.
- Next, combine the juice (or bottled juice) and 3/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer approximately 20 minutes, stirring frequently until you have reduced the mixture to 1/2 cup of syrup.
- BROWNIES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or butter a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Microwave the unsweetened chocolate and the butter on high for approximately 1 1/2-2 minutes until butter is melted. Remove from microwave and stir mixture until chocolate melts. Stir in remaining sugar.
- Now whisk in the eggs and vanilla, followed by the flour, chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Stir well.
- Spread the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Drizzle 1/4 cup of the pomegranate syrup over the batter; swirl the syrup delicately with a table knife to create a marble-like effect.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of brownies comes out clean. DO NOT overbake.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes. Drizzle the remaininng 1/4 cup pomegranate syrup over the cooled brownies, then cut into 20 square.
- Cool at least 1 hour.