Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from the All Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar Packed Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg!
Make and share this Brownie Shortbread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease an 11"x7" baking pan with butter.
- For base, process flour and sugar in food processor about 15 seconds. Add the butter and process until the dough comes togetther, 20-30 seconds.
- Pat the dough gently over the bottom o0f prepared pan. Bake on center oven rack until it is lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Place the base in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to cool completely. Keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and baking powder together in a medium size bowl with a whisk. Add the chocolate mixture and stir vigorously with the whisk until the batter is blended. Spread the cohocoate mixture evenly over the base.
- Bake the bars until the top rises and forms a very thin crust, about 20 minutes. The center will drop as it cools. Check with toothpick inserted in the middle. It may come out with a fudgy, crumbly batter on it, but it should not be liquidy. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut the shortbread with a thin knife. Enjoy!
These are easy to make and turned out well for me. No problems with crumbling or seperating like the first reviewer had. I made these as directed except that my pan was slightly larger so my shortbread finished cooking a few minutes early and I don't have a double boiler so I just melted the chocolate/butter over low heat in a small saucepan. These met with slightly mixed reviews ranging from just okay to really good (and trying to convince others that they weren't good so there would be more for her). I liked them; more than anything they reminded me of chocolate fudge pop-tarts. Thanks for sharing.
This turned out pretty good but not great. Interesting mix of crumbly shortbread and chewy brownie. I used a 13x9 pan. I used the back of a fork to mix the shortbread. When I went to cut it into squares the bottom tended to crumble and the top to seperate from it. I like the brownie part more than the shortbread. It was a fun recipe to try. Made for Zaar Tag.