Recipe by bricookie55
Found in a Dierberg's Holiday Idea Book. Originally submitted by Julie Scholl.
- 2 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place brown sugar in large mixing bowl; set aside. In medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Watching closely, cook until butter is just golden brown. Pour over brown sugar; cool to room temperature.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and brown sugar mixture at medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time; add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in nuts.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into 8-inch log; wrap each log in plastic wrap.
- Chill until firm, at least several hours. Slice logs 1/4 inch thick. Place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake about 8 to 10 minutes, until set. Cool on wire racks and store in airtight containers.