Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The recipe for this really decadent looking dish was found in the Sunset Best Recipes 2010 cookbook.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk, warmed to steaming
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large covered pot of cold water, bring potatoes to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium & cook about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes & leave them in the pot.
- Meantime, in a large frying pan, cook hazelnuts over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add butter to the nuts & cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until butter is golden brown & flecked with brown bits & hazelnuts are dark brown, then pour hazelnut mixture into a bowl & set aside.
- Mash the hot potatoes in the pot, then add milk, yogurt, salt & pepper, mashing to blend.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, & spoon about half the warm hazelnut mixture over the top, serving the rest on the side.
The mashed potatoes were full of flavor, and the hazelnut-butter sauce made these elegant (not to mention adding the hazelnut flavor we adore). These were very easy to do. I warmed up the yogurt with the milk so the potatoes wouldn't cool off too much. Next time, I might add the yogurt and start with half of the milk to have thicker mashed potatoes. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
Really enjoyed these. Only change I made was that I used 1 teaspoon of regular salt. The hazelnuts are really good. Great idea, and one to remember in the future. Served as a side dish for some mini meat loves tonight. Have to also mention that these are GREAT TASTING potatoes with flavor galore. Made for PRMR tag.