Recipe by Sydney Mike
The recipe for this really decadent looking dish was found in the Sunset Best Recipes 2010 cookbook.
Top Review by KateL
The mashed potatoes were full of flavor, and the hazelnut-butter sauce made these elegant (not to mention adding the hazelnut flavor we adore). These were very easy to do. I warmed up the yogurt with the milk so the potatoes wouldn't cool off too much. Next time, I might add the yogurt and start with half of the milk to have thicker mashed potatoes. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk, warmed to steaming
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large covered pot of cold water, bring potatoes to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium & cook about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes & leave them in the pot.
- Meantime, in a large frying pan, cook hazelnuts over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add butter to the nuts & cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until butter is golden brown & flecked with brown bits & hazelnuts are dark brown, then pour hazelnut mixture into a bowl & set aside.
- Mash the hot potatoes in the pot, then add milk, yogurt, salt & pepper, mashing to blend.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, & spoon about half the warm hazelnut mixture over the top, serving the rest on the side.