Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A great stock is made using leftovers so any of the ingredients can be sub or replaced with any type of veggies, cereals, hard cooked eggs, and other meats just dice and place in pan. this is also a good way to use up celery tops or even the outer leaves of a head of lettuce. also you can use left over meat just try to make sure there is a beef bone to put in the pot also
- 2 lbs beef, with a bone
- 1 1⁄4 quarts cold water
- 4 -6 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 mace blade
- 1 teaspoon chopped spring parsley
- 1 tablespoon diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon dices celery
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced turnip
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cut meat in to small pieces and saw or crack bones,brown in a high heat pan until 1/4 to 1/2 the way cooked (this adds color and flavor).
- soak meat and bone in water for atleast 1/2 hour befor cooking.
- heat gradually to the simmering point 190-210 f continue to simmer for 3 to 4 hours try not to let it boil.
- add spices and veggies countinue to simmer about an hour
- strain the soup in to a a lg bowl using cheese cloth to make sure no solids get through.
- cool stock quickly by refrigerating it this allows the fat to cake at the top and it can be more easly removed if cooled first. but don't remove fat until you are ready to use the stock this help protect the stock from spoiling.