Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
This is a hearty and satisfying dish. I found this recipe a few years ago and have played with it a bit. Tweak it to suit your taste buds.
- 354.88 ml brown basmati rice
- 768.91 ml water
- 236.59 ml red onion, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 36.97 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 36.97 ml lemon juice, fresh
- 9.85 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml salt, more to taste
- 1.23-2.46 ml black pepper, freshly ground
- 177.44 ml kalamata olive, chopped
- 118.29 ml parsley, chopped
- 29.58 ml of fresh mint, chopped
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse rice with cold water in bowl or strainer until no longer cloudy.
- Lightly oil a 2 liter casserole dish.
- Turn oven on to 400°F.
- Combine all but the last 4 ingredients in the dish.
- Cover, bake for 1 hour.
- Add olives, stir. Bake for 30 minutes more, covered.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, covered. Rice should be soft, water absorbed.
- Stir in parsley and mint. Add more salt if desired.
- Drizzle with the tbsp of oil and serve.
Quite good. Loved the olives in it! I think they sort of made the dish. Not sure what I would add to give it a little more flavour, but I also added feta just to give it a bit more kick. I will definitely use and adjust this recipe many times!
This is exactly the type of recipe I love coming across. Cook one day and take as part of a packed lunch the next. A welcome low calorie count together and saturated fat content - thereâ€™s so much flexibility here. I had just received some olives which I had bought on line and wanted to find a recipe which would do them justice â€“ this fit the bill exactly. Itâ€™s a great recipe; something that can be planned for lunch-time or accompanied with a side dish for the evening meal. I shared this meal with my youngest son at dinner time. He crumbled a little feta cheese on the top of his (but it was so delicious, I didnâ€™t feel deprived in the least) and we both had a Greek-style salad on the side. We both enjoyed it tremendously! Thanks, Pippa
Great recipe, I love it! Hubby actually did not complain about eating, so that is a great sign.