Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Nice coffee break or lunch box loaf. B H & G low cal
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded oranges or 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemons, rind of
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- In a large bowl stir together flours, soda, and salt, set aside.
- In separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, molasses, honey and citrus peel, add to dry ingreadients, stirring'til blended.
- Stir in nuts and raisins.
- turn into two greased 8 x 4 x 2 inch loaf pans.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 55 minutes, covering with foil the last 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
I tried this bread for a Photo Swap game and have discovered a "hidden treasure" recipe! This bread is different from any I've tried before. The closest I can think of is a steamed Boston Brown Bread. Chewier than most quick breads but not quite the texture of a yeast bread. It has a rich flavor, because of the molasses & buttermilk, but since there aren't any spices it isn't as strong as a gingerbread or pumpkin bread. I've tried it plain and toasted with butter and really enjoyed it both ways. I also think cream cheese would compliment it well. I prepared the recipe as directed, except for omitting the raisins due to personal preferences. This is a bread I know I will be making again for us and to give as gifts. Thanks so much Derf!!