Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
These little 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 mini-loaves can be made up to 5 days in advance, stored well wrapped in the fridge, and then "browned" for 20 minutes before serving. I have never tried making full sized loaves with this recipe/method nor have I tried freezing the loaves prior to browning. Prep time includes 2 hour rising time. Baking time is for initial baking, does not include 20 minute browning time.
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk (105 -115 F)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (105 -115 F)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 5 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Combine warm milk, sugar, salt and butter.
- Pour warm water into a large bowl, sprinkle in the yeast and stir until dissolved.
- Add warm milk mixture and 3 cups of flour, beating until smooth.
- Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- Place dough on a lightly floured board and knead for 8-10 minutes (until smooth and elastic).
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turn dough over to grease the top; cover dough and let rise in a warm, draft free place for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down dough and divide it into 10 equal pieces.
- Cover dough and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Roll each piece or dough out into a 4 x 7-inch rectangle.
- Shape each rolled piece into a loaf; start from the short side and tightly roll the dough towards you (like for a jelly roll) carefully pinch the seam and the ends to seal them.
- Tuck a bit of the ends under the loaf.
- Place shaped dough into 10 greased 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Cover, and let rise in a warm, draft free place for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- Place loaves in a preheated 250°F oven, leaving about 2 inches of space between each pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, remove from oven and cool in pans.
- When completely cool, remove bread from pans, wrap well in plastic bags and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- When ready to serve the bread, remove it from bag and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.