Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT. From Indian Lowfat Cooking by Roshi Razzaq.
- 3⁄4 lb potato
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 whole dried chilies, broken (to 3)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄3 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 whole green chili pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- Boil the potatoes in their skins and leave them to cool.
- Then peel and break them into a lumpy mash.
- If preferred, peel potatoes first and then boil.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized heavy bottomed saucepan and add the onion, cumin seeds, and whole dried chilies, breaking them into the pan.
- Fry until the onions turn a rich, golden brown.
- Add the mashed potato.
- Sprinkle in, and mix well after each addition, the turmeric, tomato, green chili, and salt.
- Blend in 3/4 to 1 cup of water and leave the mixture to cook over a low heat until it begins to bubble.
- Add half the cilantro leaves, stir, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Garnish the dish with the remaining cilantro leaves.