Recipe by Ms*Bindy
I love mushrooms and was really drawn to this recipe. I haven't tried it yet. It comes from the cookbook Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home, and I am posting it for the Zaar World Tour.
Top Review by djbarnez
This one is a KEEPER! I realized right after I lovingly spread the shredded cheese evenly on the top that I had forgotten the wine/sherry...after I had made a special trip to the liquor store!! It was still delicious without the alcohol but I anticipate even better results next time. This was the first time I made polenta from scratch instead of buying the tube and slicing it up - and it was absolutely fantastic. Broiled 5 mins - perfection. Thanks :)
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms, in pieces (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, diced (use 2 cups if you omit the porcini)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup smoked cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup mild provolone cheese, shredded
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- If you use the porcini mushrooms, pleace them in a bowl, cover with the boiling water, and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, bring the 3 cups water and salt to a rapid boil.
- Add the cornmeal in a thin, steady stream, whisking to prevent lumps.
- Lower the heat to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking until the polenta thickens.
- While the polenta cooks, strain the porcini mushrooms and rinse them.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, garlic, and porcini on medium heat until the oil is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the wine and add salt.
- Simmer gently for another minute or two.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spread the polenta in and oiled pie plate or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella on the polenta.
- Spoon the sauteed mushrooms over the mozzarella and finish with a layer of the smoked cheddar and/or provolone.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is golden brown, and serve bubbling hot.